With the importance of earning a degree higher than ever, many people wonder if they can earn a bachelor’s degree online. Most people understand that to be competitive in the job market a degree is almost a necessity. The bachelor’s degree is generally the most popular degree level. Aspiring students whose current lifestyle doesn’t allow them to attend college full-time consider an online bachelor’s degree their best choice. Learn everything you need to know about earning a bachelor’s degree online.
Why a Bachelor’s Degree is Important
Besides the very obvious reason that a degree is beneficial to a person’s career opportunities, there are several reasons why a bachelor’s degree is important including:
- A bachelor’s degree is required for many jobs.
- Bachelor’s degree holders generally earn more money.
- Having a bachelor’s degree can have a candidate prepared for a specific job.
- Earning a bachelor’s degree opens up more networking opportunities.
- A bachelor’s degree can be a stepping-stone to advanced education.
- Having a bachelor’s degree can lead to more on-the-job happiness.
- A bachelor’s degree can boost financial security.
Benefits of an Online Bachelor’s Degree
The main benefits of an online bachelor’s degree are:
- Saves Time
- Saves Money
There are many benefits to earning an online bachelor’s degree. One of the main reason why people fail to get a degree is money and time. They may have to work full-time and don’t have the money or time to attend college on campus. Online programs allow students to work at their own pace when it’s convenient for them. This allows many students to earn a bachelor’s degree while continuing to work full-time.
Students completing an online bachelor’s degree program will save a lot of money and money because they won’t have to pay for gas, commuting expenses and lodging. It’s all done at home. Online programs also give students the flexibility and convenience to study when they can.
What an Online Degree Entails
One of the main advantages of online education is that students can do the work from anywhere and at their convenience. All they need is a computer with Internet access. While online programs may vary from school to school, most online courses or programs are similar. According to US News & World Report a typical online program or course consists of the following four basic components:
- Learning management system – This is the place where students log in to when they want to do their assignments, take tests, participate in discussions or communicate with instructors. Blackboard, Desire2Learn and Moodle are the learning management systems used most often.
- Course materials – Students obtain their course materials from a variety of ways, including PowerPoint presentations, podcasts, instructional videos, email and lecture-based webcasts.
- Assignments and class projects – Upon logging into the school’s site, the student find a list of assignments and when they’re due. In addition to completing assignments, students are often required to participate in discussion boards and create blogs or projects. Students may be graded by the length of their responses.
- Grades – Students receive grades on all their assignments as well as tests and final exams. Online schools often give proctored tests to prevent cheating. In some cases, the student may be required to present a photo id to ensure it is the student taking the test.
Related Resource: 20 Best Affordable Schools in Colorado for Bachelor’s Degree
Choosing to earn a bachelor’s degree online can be the start of a great adventure, particularly when the student discovers the many opportunities available upon graduation. Choosing the right school may prove to be a little more difficult. U.S. News & World Report offers some excellent help in terms of choosing good online programs and schools to help students earn their bachelor’s degree online.