College sure has changed in the past few years. Used to be, students had to learn to deal with the hurdles as they went along. Now, there are hundreds of college-related blogs — be they study tips, student blogs, professor blogs, college lifestyle or something in between — many of which can provide invaluable advice, tips, reference information and useful points of view to get you through the college experience — from finding schools to applying, success in college and even preparing for your career after graduation. We’ve put together a resource list of 45 college-centric blogs — divided into five categories — that we hope will be of value to readers.
Learning, Literacy, Memory, Problem Solving, Productivity, Study, Writing
- Study Hacks Blog: Decoding Patterns of Success — Cal Newport’s professor blog delves into not just study hacks (as per the name) but also covers productivity, research history, and other topics, as well as echo his three books for students (How to Be a High School Superstar, How to Become a Straight-A Student, and How to Win at College).
- Grace’s Homework — About Education’s Homework & Study Tips blog is likely more geared to high school students but which if used/applied lead to good study and learning habits that can stand in good stead in college as well.
- Improve Your Learning and Memory — Not specifically aimed at college students, the Clive on Learning blog talks about learning techniques as well as study techniques — so can be of immense value to anyone, especially students.
- Dennis G Jerz — Jerz’s Literacy Blog, by English professor Dennis G. Jerz, focuses primarily on literacy/ journalism /writing and while not specifically college-oriented, can be a reference for students who want to be better communicators.
- Productivity501 — Pieces of the productivity puzzle. — Productivity501’s blog is primarily about productivity, some learning and the occasional reflection on college.
- IQ Matrix Blog – Home of 250+ Self-Growth Mind Maps — IQ Matrix Blog has a novel approach to both learning and to solving life’s problems (including those of interest to college students), in the form of pre-built mind maps that offer life coaching principles, learning techniques and more.
- The Reading Workshop — The Reading Workshop blog is for more than just students (teachers, family, etc) and offers tips and thought on more effective reading — which can improve your college studying efficiency.
- Neat and Simple Living — While this is not a college blog per se, there’s a wealth of information about learning, systematically getting past hurdles, goal-setting and more — all of which are valuable for the college years of life.
- Study Hack — College student Kat offers her tips and thoughts on studying, college applications, traveling/study abroad, college lifestyle and more.
College Planning, Financial
- Planning and Preparing for College — The Planning and Preparing for College blog posts information on scholarships, internships, summer camps and more.
- College Planning Blog — Best College Fit’s College Planning blog offers tips and in-depth posts for choosing the right college using different metrics, including rankings, your academic profile, your goals and other factors; tips on writing college entrance essays; reader forum feedback and more.
- Student Aid Matters – The Edvisors Blog — Edvisors Blog offers news and views of all financial matters relating to college students, including scholarships, savings plans, loans, the closing of for-profit educational chains, cutting college costs and more.
- Plan For College — On the Plan For College blog, you can find tips on college planning, application deadlines, leveraging summer vacation as prep for the upcoming college year; reviews of financial aid books and ebooks; mistakes made on financial aid application forms; saving money in college by sharing expenses with roommates and more.
- StudyAbroad.com Blog — Study Abroad’s Student Blog posts about most aspects of being an American student in a foreign country, including packing tips, making friends, saving money and more.
- Go Overseas Articles — GoOverseas’ blog breaks down into multiple categories, several of which may be of interest to students and later graduates: Study Abroad, Volunteer Abroad, High School Abroad, Gap Year Abroad, Intern Abroad, Teach Abroad.
- CEA Study Abroad Blog — CEA’s study-abroad blog leans more to the travel aspect — such as dealing with airline delays, traveling in specific countries or understanding local habits and laws — although that is mixed in with posts the reflect on semesters abroad,
- “From I to U” Blog — Indiana University’s Office of Overseas Study helps students find study abroad opportunities in 40 countries, and this blog documents the experience of many of those students.
- Abroad101 — StudyAbroad101 Blog profiles both students studying abroad and various study programs in universities and colleges outside the USA, plus gives tips and resources for finding apartments abroad, how to prepare, coping with problems that might arise and more.
- Academic Programs International Blog — API Abroad blog has posts by students studying abroad in various countries, plus recounting experiences in additional countries visited while abroad.
- Hope College Blogs — Hope College has multiple blogs, including the Study Abroad blog presenting various aspects of study terms in other countries.
- StudentUniverse Travel Blog — Not solely a study abroad blog, StudentUniverse’s Travel Blog mixes in travel trips, deal info and destination profiles with study abroad reflections and tips.
- Student Blog | Top Universities — Top Universities’ blog covers a range of topics of interest to students – not just courses and financial aid but also including career topics such as job interviews.
- Rate My Professors — The Rate My Professor blog is an odd juxtaposition of pop culture/ TV show announcements mixed with what you would expect from a general college blog: study/ college tips, scholarship announcements, career planning, college survival and more.
- College Candy — College Candy is another general lifestyle and entertainment blog aimed at college students and which juxtapose that with college and career advice.
- The College Puzzle — Stanford’s The College Puzzle blog, by Dr. Michael W. Kirst, covers topics that include college financial aid (including how to graduate without a huge debt), coping with and reducing college-related stress (such as that from exams), student-targeted mobile/tablet apps, general education news, career planning and more.
- CengageBrainiac – From the classroom to the dorm room — a student’s guide to college life — CengageBrainiac blog, from CengageBrain, has post topics spanning from study tips and college success to learning to general college life advice, saving money on college expenses and more.
- Student Bloggers | MIT Admissions — The MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) Admissions Web site has a number of blogs including Student Bloggers, which publishes tips and thoughts primarily from college students (and sometimes admissions officers), ranging from what it’s like to be taking a certain major, how to prepare for a move to campus, how to prepare for classes, things learned in specific years (e.g., freshman year) and many other topics of interest to students.
- My College Guide — My College Guide’s blog covers student-interest topics including scholarship announcements/ deadlines, profiles different majors each month (and related career info), how to save money for college, internships and more.
- Edu News Blog — EDU In Review’s Edu News Blog mixes in tips for budgeting spring break or choosing a college town with education news and profiles various types of research careers (e.g., nurse researcher).
- College Plus!–Distance Learning Blog — CollegePlus offers college planning and coping tips for students, but doesn’t neglect parents — offering advice on helping students through the entire college process, from planning to graduation.
- Inside Higher Ed — Inside Higher Ed has over 20 blogs generally about higher education, learning, college and related topics — including Confessions of a Community College Dean.
- Online learning Update — Online Learning Update is a manually-curated news blog that keeps interested parties (students, professors) up to date on developments in online education/online learning, including technology, laws, trends, etc.
- College Fashion – Trends, tips, and style for students. — College Fashion blog is like any other fashion blog, but it’s specifically aimed at a student readership, as well as written by college students.
- College News Beat blog, which covers Rasmussen College and local news of interest to students, as well as general news such as the job market, desirable skills, and more.
- Every College Girl — Every College Girl’s motto is “Things Every College Girl Should Know,” and combines fashion and fitness tips, recipes and other lifestyle elements of college with tips for dealing with student loan stress, writing resumes and likely everything else female college students might have to deal with.
- Dorm Room Biz — Dorm Room Biz is an entrepreneurial blog aimed at college students — whether you’ve already launched a business or are planning to do so.
- College Dieting — Being fit and healthy is arguably an important factor in productivity and college success, and the College Dieting blog is a journal of the author’s own findings.
- Law School Academic Support Blog — Law school professor Amy Jarmon edits this blog, which covers the aspects of getting a law degree, from entering college to careers after graduation.
- Mostly Morgan — Morgan, a sophomore student (at time of writing) at University of Illinois, offers up her thoughts and both college and lifestyle, as well as reports on her monthly earnings from the blog.