Marketing-related occupations are expected to have as much as 19% growth in job numbers – depending on the actual occupation – between 2014-2024, according to the BLS’ Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH; http://bls.gov/ooh). Marketing has always been an important aspect of selling products and services. With the ubiquity of the Internet and the increase of online sales, the Internet marketing niche adds another career focus area that’s different from traditional marketing, and also requires additional skills that may interest those who may not otherwise have considered a marketing career.
There are many marketing-related occupations, some of which are listed below, compiled from the Web pages of the 20 colleges ranked in this article. While many of the occupations require just a bachelor’s degree, some may require an advanced degree and/or professional certification — such as Professional Certified Marketer (PCM), which is administered by the American Marketing Association. As the scrollable list below will show, Marketing is an interdisciplinary field that can involve a variety of skills, including creativity, technology, management and more.
- Account Coordinator
- Account Manager
- Advertising Sales Agent
- Brand Manager
- Client Services Manager
- Client/ Customer Service
- Consumer Product Sales
- Consumer Representative
- Copy Writer
- Corporate Sales
- Creative Developer
- Digital Marketing Specialist/ Coordinator
- Digital/ Communication Specialist
- Digital/ Online Advertising
- Direct Consumer Sales
- Direct Marketing Manager
- E-Commerce Manager
- E-Mail Marketing Manager
- E-Marketing (Internet and Web Site)
- Email Marketing Specialist
- Event Marketing Specialist
- Event Planner
- Financial Services Sales
- Industrial Purchasing
- Industrial Sales
- Management Training
- Manufacturer Representation
- Market Analysis/ Strategic Research
- Market Research Analyst
- Marketing Assistant/ Coordinator
- Marketing Communications Director
- Marketing Communications Manager
- Marketing Communications Specialist
- Marketing Coordinator
- Marketing Director
- Marketing Logistics (Physical Distribution)
- Marketing Manager
- Marketing Strategist
- Marketing Technologist
- Media Coordinating
- Media Planner
- Multimedia Developer
- New Business Development Specialist
- Personal Selling
- Product Manager
- Professional Selling
- Promotion – Consumer
- Promotion – Sales Force
- Promotion – Trade
- Promotions Manager
- Public Relations Managers and Specialists
- Retail Management
- Retail Sales Worker
- Sales Manager
- Sales Representative
- SEO Diagnostics Consultant
- SEO Specialist
- Services Sales
- Social Media Specialist
- Trade Show Planner
- Web Developer
- Web Traffic Analyst
- Wholesale and Manufacturing Sales Representative
- Wholesale Sales
Curriculum Courses/ Topics for Bachelor of Marketing degrees
This article covers affordable bachelor’s degrees in marketing. While every college is different in their overall program curriculum, there is an overlap of main topics/ courses. The scrolling list below highlights many of the typical topic categories or course titles covered by marketing bachelor’s programs.
- Advertising and Promotion
- Advertising Strategy
- Applied Business Research
- Brand Management
- Business Analytics
- Business Communications
- Business Ethics
- Business Finance
- Business Information Tools
- Business Law
- Business Law and Legal Environment
- Business Negotiations
- Business Policy and Strategy
- Business Statistics
- Business to Business Marketing
- Business Writing
- Business-to-Business Sales and Marketing
- Buyer Behavior
- Career Development
- Case Studies in Strategic Management
- Change, Creativity, and Innovation Management
- Communication and the Information Society
- Consumer and Professional Buying Behavior
- Consumer Behavior
- Consumer Decision Processes
- Contracting and Negotiating
- Corp Managerial Accounting
- Corporation Finance
- Critical Thinking in Project Management for Business
- Current Topics in Marketing
- Customer Behavior
- Customer Relationship Management
- Customer Service and Relationship Management
- Database Marketing
- Decision Making and Negotiations
- Design for Marketing
- Digital Marketing
- Direct Marketing
- Employment Law
- Entrepreneurial Strategy/ Marketing
- Export Marketing
- Financial Accounting
- Financial Management
- Fundamentals of Accounting
- Fundamentals of Business
- Fundamentals of Management
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Global Marketing
- Global Supply Chain Management
- Human Resource Management
- Information Systems Management
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- International Business
- International Marketing
- Internet and Social Media Marketing (aka E-Marketing)
- Intro to Marketing and Business Education
- Introduction to Business
- Introduction to Business Microcomputer Applications
- Introduction to Contemporary Business
- Introduction to Management Information Systems
- Introduction to Marketing
- Introduction to Operations Management
- Introduction to Web Development
- Issues in Marketing
- Legal and Ethical Environment of Business
- Legal Environment and Business
- Legal, Social, and Political Environment of Business
- Logistics and Channel Management
- Management and Organizational Behavior
- Management Information Systems
- Management Principles and Practices
- Managerial Accounting
- Managerial Finance
- Market Research
- Marketing Analytics
- Marketing and Advertising Law
- Marketing and Business Education Methods
- Marketing Channel Structure and Strategy
- Marketing Education Curriculum
- Marketing for Non-Profit and Service Organizations
- Marketing Issues
- Marketing Management
- Marketing of Small Business Enterprises
- Marketing Principles
- Marketing Research
- Marketing Research and Information Systems
- Marketing Strategies
- Marketing Writing
- Motorsports Marketing
- New Product Marketing
- Operations and Systems Management
- Operations Management
- Organization and Management
- Organizational Behavior
- Orientation to Online Learning
- Personal Selling and Sales Management
- Principles and Practices of Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Principles of Accounting
- Principles of Advertising
- Principles of Finance
- Principles of Management
- Principles of Management Information Systems
- Principles of Marketing
- Principles of Retailing
- Principles of Sales
- Problems in Business- Social Media Marketing
- Problems in Business- Sports Marketing
- Product and Pricing Strategy
- Professional Development
- Professional Sales
- Professional Selling
- Promotional Management
- Promotional Strategy
- Public Relations
- Retail Management and Strategies
- Retail Marketing
- Salesforce Management
- Salesmanship and Sales Management
- Services Marketing
- Services Marketing Management
- Social Media and E-Marketing Design
- Social Media Marketing
- Sports and Event Marketing
- Sports Marketing
- Strategic Electronic Marketing
- Strategic Internet Marketing
- Strategic Management
- Strategic Marketing
- Strategic Selling
- Tourism and Hospitality Marketing
- Web Design and Development
If you are interested in a career in marketing or closely-related fields, this rankings list of relevant and economical online bachelor’s degrees may help you find a suitable college/ university. This is the second in a new series of “Affordable Schools,” focusing online programs. A summary of metadata / statistics for the 20 schools ranked here follows the NOTES section. The actual college ranking summaries are after the summary.
- While many BBA degrees cover some amount of marketing, this list explicitly seeks out marketing-specific bachelor’s degrees, including those business degrees. that have a concentration/ track/ emphasis in Marketing. For degree-seeker convenience, we have also tried to include information about any online, undergrad marketing-related academic certificate programs for a given school.
- A college’s tuition for online programs may differ than that quoted for the on-campus program. This could be due to either or both of technology fees and out-of-state-portion waivers. Check with a college if you’re unsure. We have listed the tuition and net price values recorded in the NCES.ed.gov database.
- As accreditation can change or only be valid regionally, please verify accreditation of any college to which you are planning to apply.
- NCES data is subject to change and some of these “affordable degrees” guides may use more recent data than described in the Methodology.
- For the full list of programs covered to date, please check our School Rankings page.
- Online programs are strongly self-directed and recommended only for students who are self-driven when it comes to studying and researching.
- Some online program selection tips:
- Spend the time to carefully read the degree requirements.
- Browse the course curriculum and make notes of the courses that interest you most.
- Consider creating a spreadsheet to compare summaries of course/ programs across the schools referenced here. If you are looking for a minimum set of courses, make a list of those courses, one per column. Then list ranked schools vertically in the spreadsheet, one per row. Color code or make an annotation for each course offered by a given school.
- Add other columns to record information about tuition, net price, #credits/ courses required, etc., and color code their cells as suitable.
- This visual approach to online program selection can be quite effective compared to staring at bare numbers.
- The methodology for this series on online bachelor’s degrees is essentially the same as for our 15-school college rankings list. For example, see the “Methodology” section of the ranking list article 15 of the Most Affordable Bachelor’s Degrees in Marketing for an explanation of the process we use to rank colleges in each topical bachelor’s list.
This is a summary of data available for the colleges/ universities mentioned in this college rankings list for bachelor’s of Marketing or related degree programs.
|Yearly net price range:||$8,287 – $13,654 (avg. for all students per school after discounts/ financial aid).|
|In-state tuition range:||$4,654 – $11,646.|
|Out-of-state tuition range:||$5,175 – $20,615.|
|Lowest in-state:||Fort Hays State University.|
|Lowest out-of-state:||Columbia Southern University.|
|Graduation rate range:||33-54%.|
|Transfer-out rate range:||6-39% (10 schools did not report).|
|Highest graduation rate:||Florida International University.|
|Lowest transfer-out rate:||Florida International University.|
|Student population range:||2850-57539.|
|Undergrad population range:||1922-46997.|
|Largest # students:||American Public University System.|
|Largest # undergrad:||American Public University System.|
|Oldest school:||University of West Alabama (est. 1835).|
|Youngest school:||Columbia Southern University (est. 1993).|
|# states covered:||13.|
|States covered:||Alabama (3), Delaware, Florida, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota (2), Missouri (4), New Mexico, North Dakota, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wisconsin.|
Alphabetic list of schools covered in this ranking
The abbreviations used in the table below may not be official and in which case are used here for convenience only.
|NCES Name/ abbreviation||location||$in-state||$out-of-state||$net price|
|University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM)||Monroe, Louisiana||$7,658||$19,758||$8,287|
|Missouri Southern State University (MSSU)||Joplin, Missouri||$5,523||$10,480||$8,700|
|Park University (Park)||Parkville, Missouri||$11,470||$11,470||$9,326|
|American Public University System (APUS)||Charles Town, West Virginia||$6,880||$6,880||$9,572|
|Columbia Southern University (CSU)||Orange Beach, Alabama||$5,175||$5,175||$10,054|
|Troy University (Troy)||Troy, Alabama||$7,924||$14,812||$10,112|
|New Mexico State University (NM State)||Las Cruces, New Mexico||$6,094||$19,652||$10,299|
|Northwest Missouri State University (NMSU)||Maryville, Missouri||$6,767||$11,823||$10,825|
|Columbia College (CC)||Columbia, Missouri||$8,240||$8,240||$11,031|
|Minot State University (Minot)||Minot, North Dakota||$6,390||$6,390||$11,047|
|Indiana State University (ISU)||Terre Haute, Indiana||$8,580||$18,708||$11,525|
|Florida International University (FIU)||Miami, Florida||$6,556||$18,954||$11,552|
|Fort Hays State University (FHSU)||Hays, Kansas||$4,654||$13,657||$11,698|
|University of West Alabama (UWA)||Livingston, Alabama||$8,734||$15,878||$12,350|
|University of Memphis (UM)||Memphis, Tennessee||$8,903||$20,615||$12,369|
|University of Minnesota-Crookston (UMC)||Crookston, Minnesota||$11,646||$11,646||$13,055|
|University of Wisconsin-Stout (Stout)||Menomonie, Wisconsin||$9,203||$16,949||$13,280|
|Wilmington University (WU)||New Castle, Delaware||$10,430||$10,430||$13,359|
|Florida Atlantic University (FAU)||Boca Raton, Florida||$4,831||$17,276||$13,360|
|Metropolitan State University (MSU)||Saint Paul, Minnesota||$7,566||$14,394||$13,654|
Interactive and Non-Interactive Charts
Directly below and with each ranked college’s entry, there are several interactive charts. Here is a summary on how to use them:
- A modern browser is required for most of the charting features.
- For the bar charts, including the rectangular one directly below and the individual ones in each school summary, the vertical Y axis represents cost in dollars, for net price and in-state and out-of-state tuition per college. The horizontal X axis represents the schools ranked.
- The chart directly below shows in-state tuition (blue bars), out-of-state tuition (orange bars) and net price (connected green dots). Hover your mouse over a tuition bar or net price point and a tooltip will pop up that shows the institution name and the two cost values – net price and tuition. Use your mouse’s scroll wheel to zoom in on a section in the main chart. The sub-chart below the main chart will indicate what section you are viewing. Hover your mouse over either of the three labels, “in,” “out” or “net” underneath the sub-chart to visually highlight just the selected chart.
- The circular chart below the grouped bar chart/ line chart combo is an alternative view of tuition info, as well as additional data points. See below for more details.
- Each school ranked also displays two donut charts. The leftmost donut chart is a breakdown of number of students, with the total displayed in the middle, and the blue arc representing the percentage of students that are undergrads. The rightmost donut chart represents graduation rate of undergrads, with the rate displayed in the middle and also represented by the blue arc. Hover your mouse over any arc to get the student percentage or the graduation rate, depending on the donut chart.
Rectangular Interactive Chart: Tuition vs Net Price
As mentioned above, this chart compares in-state and out-of-state tuition, as well as net price, for all 20 schools ranked in this article on the most affordable online Bachelor’s degrees in Marketing.
Circular Non-Interactive Chart: Multiple Data Points
The following circular “Circos” chart presents multiple data points that can be visually compared simultaneously and arguably more easily than for other types of charts. For example, if you know how to use the chart, you can readily see that the three schools that have the highest out-of-state tuition are #1, #7, #15. The three with the highest student population are #4, #12, #19. The two oldest are #9 and #14, and the two youngest are #4 and #5. Once you see the “Tips for Use” section below, it’ll be clear why this is so. Note: Unlike the rectangular chart above, and the per-school dashboards later in this article, this one has no interactive features.
Metropolitan State University (MSU) is a public university established in 1971 and located in the St. Paul and Minneapolis Twin Cities area, Minnesota. It was originally founded as Minnesota Metropolitan State College and is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.
MSU offers certificates and degrees (bachelor’s, master’s, doctorates – research). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 120-credit BS Marketing.
Florida Atlantic University (FAU) is a public university established in 1961 and located in Boca Raton. Its first honorary doctorate was awarded to then President Lyndon B. Johnson, in 1964.
FAU offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, doctorates – research, professional). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 120-credit BBA Marketing.
Wilmington University (aka WilmU) is a private, nonprofit university established in 1968 and located in New Castle, Delaware, about six miles roughly southwest of Wilmington, DE, and about 38 miles roughly southwest of Philadelphia, PA. It was originally founded as Wilmington College. The university has 14 locations (campuses and learning centers) collectively in Delaware, Maryland and New Jersey, as well as an online division. All degree programs can actually be completed online.
WU offers degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, doctorates – research). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 120-credit BS Marketing; Students can also choose the 120-credit BS Communication which has a 24-36 credit Integrated Marketing Communication Concentration.
University of Wisconsin-Stout is a public university established in 1891 and located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, about 70 miles approximately east of Minneapolis. It is a member of the University of Wisconsin System and is formed from the merger of several schools founded by James Stout (state Senator), the oldest of which is the Stout Manual Training School.
Stout offers certificates and degrees (bachelor’s, master’s, doctorates – professional). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 123-credit BS Marketing and Business Education; BS Digital Marketing Technology (DMT). Both programs have blended delivery (online and on-campus). The latter program is cross-disciplinary, and Stout indicates that it may be the first DMT program in the United States, to their knowledge.
University of Minnesota Crookston (UMC) is a public university established in 1905 (as the Northwest School of Agriculture) and located in Crookston, MN, about 30 miles roughly southeast of Grand Forks, ND. It is part of the U of Minnesota system and awards undergrad certificates and bachelor’s degrees.
UMC offers certificates and degrees (bachelor’s). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 120-credit BS Marketing; 18/19-credit Marketing Minor.
University of Memphis is a public university established in 1912 and located in Memphis, Tennessee.
UM offers certificates and degrees (bachelor’s, master’s, doctorates – research, professional). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 120-credits BBA Marketing Management.
University of West Alabama (UWA) is a public university established in 1835 and located in Livingston, Alabama, about 114 miles roughly southeast of Birmingham, AL. It was originally founded as the Livingston Female Academy and took its current name in 1995.
UWA offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 30-credit (major portion, plus 40 credits Business Professional Component) BBA Marketing.
Fort Hays State University is a public university established in 1902 and based in Hays, Kansas, about 200 miles roughly west of Topeka, KS. It was originally founded as Western Branch of Kansas State Normal School.
FHSU offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 124-credit BBA Marketing; 12-credit Marketing certificate; 12-credit Tourism and Hospitality Marketing certificate.
Florida International University (FIU) is a public university established in 1965 and located in Miami, Florida. It is reputedly the 4th largest university in the U.S. and is part of the State University System of Florida.
FIU offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, doctorates – research, professional). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 120-credit BBA with Marketing concentration; 18-credit Social Media and E-Marketing undergrad certificate (has prerequisite requirement of 45 credits for admission); 18-credit Marketing Research and Analysis certificate.
Indiana State University (ISU) is a public research university established in 1865 as the Indiana State Normal School. Its main campus is in Terre Haute, Indiana, about 80 miles southwest of Indianapolis, IN.
ISU offers certificates and degrees (bachelor’s, master’s, doctorates – research, professional). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 120-credit BS Marketing; 18-credit Marketing Minor.
Minot State University (MSU, Minot) is a public university established in 1913 and located in Minot, North Dakota, about 110 miles roughly north-northwest of Bismarck, ND. It was originally founded as Minot Normal School and is part of the North Dakota University System.
Minot offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 120-credit BS Marketing; 21-credit Marketing minor; 12-credit Marketing Concentration (for non-business majors).
Columbia College is a private college established in 1851 and located in Columbia, Missouri, about 125 miles roughly east of Kansas City, MO. It was originally founded as Christian Female College and is one of nearly three dozen campuses throughout the U.S., which include military bases. It has an affiliation with the Disciples of Christ, though it is nonsectarian.
CC offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 120-credit BA Business Administration (BABA) with Marketing Major option; 120-credit BS Business Administration (BSBA) with Marketing major option; 18-credit Marketing Minor; 18-credit undergrad Marketing Management certificate.
Northwest Missouri State University (NMSU) is a public university established in 1905 and located in Maryville, MO, about 115 miles south and east of Omaha, NE. It started as Fifth District Normal School, a teachers college. The current name took effect in 1972.
NMSU offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 124-credit BS Marketing.
New Mexico State University (NMSU, NM State) is a public research university established in 1888 as Las Cruces College. Its main campus is located in Las Cruces, New Mexico, about 230 miles south and slightly west of Albuquerque, NM, and some 45 miles northwest of El Paso, Texas.
NM State offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, doctorates – research, professional). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 128-credit BBA Marketing.
Troy University is a public university established in 1887 and located in Troy, Alabama, about 51 miles south and slightly east of Montgomery, AL. It was created as the merger of four original Troy State University campuses (including the main campus) in 2005 under a single unit, with the oldest founded as Troy Normal School.
Troy offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, doctorates – professional). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: BS in Business Administration (BSBA), Global Business Major with a Concentration in Marketing (12 credits).
Columbia Southern University (CSU) is a private university established in 1993 and located in Orange Beach, Alabama, about 54 miles east and south of Mobile, AL, and about 27 miles roughly southwest of Pensacola, FL. It has affiliated colleges in Iowa and Vietnam.
CSU offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 120-credit BS Business Administration with Marketing concentration; 12-credit Marketing certificate (undergrad).
American Public University System (APUS), which includes APU (American Public University) and AMU (American Military University), is a private, for-profit system of universities founded in 1991 and based in Charles Town, West Virginia, about 63 miles roughly northwest of Washington, DC. APUS is organized as an entirely online learning institution and has no campus.
APUS offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 121-credit BA Marketing with three concentrations: (1) Analytics, (2) General, (3) Sales. This program is available through both AMU (American Military University) and APU (American Public University).
Park University, Mackay Hall (source)
Park University is a private, non-profit university established in 1875 and located in Parkville, Missouri – a suburb of Kansas City, MO, about 10 miles approximately northwest. It is #3 on our list of least expensive online bachelor’s of marketing programs.
Park offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 120-credit BS Marketing.
Missouri Southern State University (MSSU) is a public university established in 1937 and located in Joplin, Missouri, about 113 miles roughly northeast of Tulsa, OK. It makes #2 in this list of low-cost online marketing programs.
MSSU offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 124-credit BSBA with Marketing Emphasis; 18-credit Marketing Minor. Undergrad students may also be able to combine the Minor with a Bachelor’s in General Studies (BGS; interdisciplinary or degree-completion).
University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM) is a public university established in 1931 and located in Monroe, Louisiana, about 100 miles roughly east of Shreveport, LA. It was originally founded as Ouachita Parish Junior College and is part of the University of Louisiana System. It tops our list as the most affordable online bachelor’s of marketing degree, by net price.
ULM offers certificates and degrees (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, doctorates – research, professional). For online undergrad marketing programs, they offer: 120-credit BBA Marketing; 120-credit BS Health Studies – Healthcare Marketing/Management.